There are a number of products applied in intervention by endovascular specialists of which stents and balloons form the core. Placing a metallic stent across an occluded or stenotic blood vessel extends provision of structural support on the inner side and hence serves in maintaining the patency of that vessel along with flow re-establishment through it.
Market for peripheral vascular stents
The global market for peripheral vascular stents is expected to increase at a higher compound annual growth rate (CAGR) during the forecast period of 2016-2021. Introduction of advanced technologies, rise in the need for procedures of angioplasty, increasing number of incidents for vascular issues, growing demand for procedures having minimal invasion and increase in the geriatric population have been the market driving factors. The successful implementation and results of these devices have led to the expansion of the market industry for peripheral vascular stents.
When are these devices implemented?
In case a client faces any of following indications, these devices are implanted for treating the condition.
- For lower extremities:
- Inadequate blood supply with rest pain.
• Constricted supply of blood leading to serious weakness and infirmity.
• Ulcer developments on lower extremities that are non-healing with limited blood flow.
• Claudication due to lifestyle that cannot be corrected by modifying the lifestyle or practicing exercises.
- For upper extremities:
- Dizziness or syncope with usage of arm, providing evidence of retrograde vertebral flow and subclavian stenosis.
• Severe constriction of blood flow in arm in addition to subclavian stenosis.
• Ulcers on hand with ischemia.
- For visceral arteries:
- Difficulty in controlling hypertension even after being on medications for thrice or more, which may or may not be accompanied by increased creatinine levels and accounting for more than 60% stenosis of renal artery.
• Ischemia of mesenteric tissues along with greater than 70 % superior mesenteric arterial or celiac stenosis.
- For carotid arteries:
- Presence of surgically inaccessible severe lesions, restenosis intervention post correction through surgery, former neck radiation and occlusion in contralateral carotid.
Which stent type is preferred for treatment?
Stents that are balloon-expandable are implemented in treating calcified lesions, ostial lesions and lesions of short segments due to the deployment of precision and enhanced radial force. These provide excellent results for mesenteric, subclavian, iliac and renal lesions.
Stents that are self-expandable are used for tortuous vessels, long lesions and regions which carry risk of compression or external forces since these have more track-ability, flexibility and come in long lengths. These are preferred for femoral-popliteal lesions.
Peripheral vascular stents have come up as a good treatment choice for peripheral arterial issues. They have been able to meet up the expectations, thus driving the market gain at global level.
Crystal Market Research published a report on “Peripheral Vascular Stents Market by Product and End User – Global Industry Analysis and Forecast to 2025” released and accessible at